Sunday, April 29, 2012

stuffed Zucchini flowers


One of Michele's favorite side dishes are stuffed Zucchini flowers.  While I was in the grocery store the other day I noticed that the flowers were in the produce section.  So being the good wife that I am I picked up a package of them.  Then with help of my iPhone did a quick search and found a few recipes that helped me get all the necessary ingredients.  I ended up creating my own filling as I could not find all the original one's ingredients.  Below are the ones I used, as a whole it's tweaked from the FoodNetwork.
My first attempt at making stuffed Zucchini Flowers!


Ingredients
    Vegetable oil, for frying
    2 large egg yolks
    1 cup ice water
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    12 zucchini flowers with stems
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

Stuffing:
1 tbsp Fresh Basil
1 cup Fresh Ricotta
1 tbsp freshly ground Grana

Directions

Pour 3 inches of oil in a deep fryer or large, heavy pot and heat to 375 degrees F.

Combine, basil, ricotta and Grana in a bowl then transfer to a pastry bag.

In a deep mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks and pour in the ice water; mix to combine. Add the flour and continue to mix until the batter is the consistency of heavy cream.

Using a pastry bag fill each flower with the mixture of Basil, ricotta and grana.  Once all flowers have been filled dip 2 zucchini flowers at a time in the batter to coat completely, letting the excess drip off.

Fry the flowers in the hot oil for 2 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Drain the fried flowers on a platter lined with paper towels, season with salt and pepper while they are still hot. Repeat with the remaining zucchini flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment